Summer Sweets

August 04, 2016


This summer has been delightful, almost as delightful as these pastries from the local French bakery! I've always loved this bakery since I was young. Just picture a little ballerina with her pink tights, tank leotard, and a sheer chiffon skirt munching on a rabbit shaped butter cookie...that was me! As I tasted these desserts and experienced the flavors, I start to identify three parallels between the sweetness and my summer: sweet, semi-sweet, and bitter-sweet.


Sweet

Like this scrumptious "tarte aux fraises", this summer has been full of sweet moments. Moments like house sitting with my best friends, going on shopping trips, canoeing and tubbing at the springs, walking on the beach at sunset, and going to the movie theaters. Moments like these, shared with some of the best people I know, are so enjoyable and should not be taken for granted. They only last for so long, but the memory will last for much longer. I can still taste that tart!


Semi-Sweet

These moments may seem like nothing to most people, but to a semi-introverted person like myself, it means everything! This of course is time to myself. I've had time to be alone and unbothered which gives me time to focus on myself and do the things I need to do. These things include sleeping, working on my portfolio, sharpening my skills, spend time with God, writing down ideas, and watching a load of Youtube videos that I neglected during finals week/month (cause we go hard at SCAD). This butter cookie is a dessert, but it isn't as sweet as most cookies. The sweetness is more like a hint, but I love it!


Bitter-Sweet

As sweet as the summer has been, there are the moments that taste less sweet and have a slightly bitter flavor to them. A moment like this can be finding out that your best friend is moving across the country. But, I did say bitter-sweet. Although she's moving across the nation, meaning I won't see her for a very long time,  she is going to be a campus missionary. I couldn't be more proud of her for advancing toward her calling and reaching out to those who need it the most. I must say though, it is L.A. which gives me more reason to go there! As for the treat, the "tarte au citron" was sweet, but the lemon and meringue made it taste bitter. There were moments when it overpowered the taste, but in the end it was sweet!



Many more sweets are coming soon and I can't wait to share about them!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe